At our manufacturing plants we have a relentless focus on productivity and environmental sustainability. To strengthen our approach, we have invested in a robust technology solution that has revolutionised the speed and accuracy of our data monitoring. It has enabled us to map, understand and analyse our complete environmental footprint, from raw materials to finished goods, across factories. Our strategy to achieve our sustainability goals includes a range of efforts from energy efficiency, water conservation and waste management at our manufacturing plants, to promoting IGBC/LEED-certified green buildings.
Our Green Goals
We aspire to achieve a status of net zero carbon emissions. This means balancing a measured amount of carbon that is released into the environment with an equivalent amount offset.
Water positivity means returning to the planet more water than we consume while manufacturing our products. We are aiming to achieve water positivity by implementing the 3R strategy of reduce, reuse and recycle.
We are working to reduce hazardous and solid waste generation, increase recycling of waste, and ensure that the waste generated at our sites is not sent to landfill.
We are reducing the energy consumed to manufacture each unit of our products by 30 per cent, through process re-engineering, energy conservation and efficiency projects.
We are aiming to substitute 30 per cent of our total energy consumption with renewable sources such as solar, wind and biomass. We are investing in renewable technology and procuring green power.
Greener India Goal 2020
Achievement to date
- Become carbon neutral51% reduction in specific greenhouse gas emissions
- Have a positive water balance32% reduction in specific water consumption
- Send zero waste to landfill72% waste diverted from landfill
- Reduce specific energy consumption by 30%32% reduction in specific energy consumption
- Increase renewable energy sources by 30%55% of our energy consumption is from renewable sources
The progress achieved by our factories in improving environmental sustainability performance is compared to a 2011 baseline. * Data as on December, 2017
Achievement to date
- Reduce specific energy consumption by 40%37% reduction in specific energy consumption
- Reduce specific water consumption by 40%62% reduction in specific water consumption
- Reduce hazardous waste by 50%15% reduction in hazardous waste
- Send zero non-hazardous waste to landfill99.8% waste diverted from landfill
- Increase renewable energy sources by 30%11.5% of our energy consumption is from renewable sources
The progress achieved by our factories in improving environmental sustainability performance is compared to a 2011 baseline. Data as on March, 2017